Had this kurma in Bangalore hotelstimes. Always wondered how to make this decided to make this this weekend it tastes great with poori or chapati as an accompaniment. This from my aunts recipe book….enjoy..!
Mixed vegetable kurma recipe
Prep Time: 25 mins | Cook time: 25 mins | Serves: 5 to 6
- Potato 2 no.
- Carrot ,small 1 no.
- Beans 8 to 10 nos.
- Peas 1 fist full
- Onion 2 nos.
- Tomato 2 small sized
- Ginger 2 tsp grated
- Garlic paste 2 tsp
- Turmeric 1/8 tsp
- Redchilli powder 1 tsp
- Garam masala 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves,chopped 2 tblsp
- Salt as needed
- Elachi 1 no.
- Clove 1 no.
- Cinnamon 1 inch piece
- Bay leaf 1 no.
- Jeera 1 tsp
- Oil 2 tblsp
- Coconut 2 tblsp
- Fennel 3/4 tsp
- Cashew nuts 5-8 nos.
- Fried gram dal (pottu kadalai) 1 tsp
- Chop the veggies into cubes,also chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Grind the ingredients under the table “To grind” to a smooth paste.
- Heat a small pressure cooker/pan with oil and add the tempering items in the table “to temper”.
- After the cumin splutters, add curry leaves , add onion and fry for a minute or so and add the ginger garlic paste and fry in low flame till the raw smell paste disappears. (Here one can add salt which oxides the onions and helps frying the onions faster)
- Add the tomato and add the salt (if you have added salt as above please taste and then add salt) and fry for a minute till the tomatoes becomes mushy (add water if required, which helps to avoid burning of the masala).
- Add the ground paste, followed by the red chilli powder, garam masala powder and turmeric powder fry for minute till the oil is separated.
- Add the veggies (pre boiled for 5 minutes) and add a cup of water and check for the salt as per taste.
- Cook for 1 to 2 whistles and then simmer for 5 minutes open after the steam releases.
- Then add coriander leaves and mix it well.
Serve along with Rooti/Poori/Pooratha/Chapati.