One of the most sought-after dish from Punjabi Cuisine is Dal fry, always I used to feel what do the restaurants do what we don’t do to get the type of Dal Fry…trying many recipes out later found out what we have been doing wrong rather differently.
Ingredients for Dal Fry
- 1 cup Toor Dal
- ⅓ cup Yellow Moong Dal
- 2 Onions
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2 Green chilli
- ½ tsp Jeera
- 15-20 Curry leaves
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Jeera Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- Hand full Cilantro/dhania
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 4 ½ cups Water
- 1 tsp Oil
- 2 Dried Red Chilli
- 6-7 Garlic
- pinch Red Chilli Powder
- pinch Hing/ Asafoetida
Preparation for the Dal Fry:
- Dice up the vegetables keep aside in a bowl.
- Wash And soak the dal for 1 hour.
- Remove the excess water from the soaked dal, and pressure cook the dal with the 4 cups of water, till 4 whistles. Let the cooker cool down and then remove the dal from the pressure cooker.
- Meanwhile in Kadai heat the oil up and then put jeera and then followed up by the fresh curry leaves let them fry for minute or two.
- This is followed by cumin seeds, green chillies diced onions, chillies, let the curry leaves sizzle. Now add the diced tomatoes and fry them for minute or too.
- Now we can add the dry masala like chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and salt and simmer them for minute or too.
- Now add fresh cilantro and cooked dal, at this point we add water to bring it to the desired consistency. Let it simmer for a while before we take it down from the flame.
Now bring a tempering pan to heat, put some oil and put dry chillies, ginger Julien, Hing and diced garlic at last pinch of red chilli powder for colour. Pour this on the dal and switch of the heat immediately.
Dal fry can be served with Jeera rice, Chapati, Tandoori Roti or NAAN.
Its Part of the north india meal plan we have given. Click Here