Coconut Burfi Recipe | Nariyal Burfi | Kopra Buri
Coconut burfi is a very common dessert/sweet made in Indian kitchens, this dessert/sweet is normally made normally made from freshly grated coconut or desiccated coconut, but freshly grated coconut would be preferable for best results. This is one of the simplest and easiest sweet which is made in a jiffy for any festivals, the best part this has a very long shelf life.
As said above we can make coconut burfi from freshly grated coconut or desiccated coconut, both have different ways of preparing and ingredients for preparing coconut burfi. For desiccated coconut we use condensed milk in the traditional method we used freshly grated coconut and sugar.
There are many burfi’s, laddu’s and various sweets made during Indian festivals, but none can beat coconut burfi, it’s very simple with only 4 ingredients makes an amazing dessert/sweet. This recipe, which I am sharing is my mom’s recipe and have been eating this dessert for the past 30 to 40 years. Its tried and tested over several decades ! The photos have been taken in my mom’s kitchen while the coconut burfi was being prepared……😊 !
Coconut Burfi Recipe | Nariyal Burfi | Kopra Burfi
Nutritional Value: 123 Calories / Serving Fat 37 cal Carbs 84 cal Protein 2 cal
- 1 ½ tbsp Ghee
- 4 cups Freshly Grated Coconut
- 4 cups Sugar
- ¼ cup Milk
- 2 nos Elachi Pods/ ¼ tsp Elachi Powder
How to Make Coconut Burfi ….?
Take a thick bottomed pan and add freshly grated coconut along with sugar and milk, stir the mixture on medium heat continuously, the sugar melts and mixes with fresh coconut and milk forms a thick liquid. This process takes at least 20 to 25 minutes. Would advise cooking in medium flame/heat to avoid charring.
At this stage, the whole mixture looks like a froth.
When the mixture starts separating from the pan add the cardamom powder, if using fresh pods, it has to be added along with the freshly grated coconut.
Once the mixture seems to come together add ghee and take off the flame and pour it into a greased container (with ghee) (8*8 inches).
Tap the container so that any air bubbles escape and leave it cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
When the mixture/dough of coconut burfi is warm itself cut it into small square pieces with a knife or any sharp object.
Let is set for another 10 to 15 minutes and unmould it into dry and store it in an airtight container. Enjoy as when required.
It can be garnished with pistachio or cashew nuts as desired.
- Mix Coconut, milk, and sugar in a pan before starting to sautéing the mixture.
- Do not even out the mixture after pouring into the container, allow it set as it is poured.
- If using pods, they have to be crushed and added with grated coconut.
- One can grease it with ghee/parchment paper.
- Adjust the amount of sugar as per taste/level sweetness required.
- Use fresh coconut for juicy and tasty burfi.
- One can also add cream to get soft and juicy burfi. However, it can be made using frozen/desiccated coconut.
- Have given the pictures of the steps for cooking below