Tamarind Coconut Chutney/Pachi Pulusu
This is a home-based recipe, which I have been having it with Pongal from my childhood @ home. Its made out of tamarind, jaggery and coconut, which gives you that khatta and metta taste/twist to this chutney. This chutney is very simple yet very tasty to have it. When one combines with Pongal and have it its divine. Yesterday gave it small twist as my wife does not have it if it’s made with tamarind so I tried making it with kokum instead, I was a bit vary this was the first time I would be trying out this chutney so making a variant on the same day is bit tricky.
But never the less it turned out to be excellent and yummy, both my wife and daughter certified it as the very tasty and my daughter was asking today for more.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes |
- Tamarind Pulp/Tamarind Juice
- Jaggery: 2 tsp
- Water as required
- Chutney Dalia: 3 tbsp.
- Green Chilli: 2 nos
- Fresh Coconut: ½ cup
- Jeera: 1 tsp
- Urad Dal: ½ tsp
- Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
- Jeera: ½ tsp
- Channa Dal: ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves: 3 to 4 leaves
- First, we need to take the items mentioned “To Grind” and grind them to fine powder and keep it aside.
- Meanwhile take bowl or a pan, add some oil and heat it up. Now add one by one all the items in the To Temper list. Let the mustard crackle and add the tamarind juice and bring it boil.
- Now add the powder we grinded to pan and mix it thoroughly, let the whole mix simmer for some time. At this juncture add the powdered jaggery, now cook till jaggery completely melts and mixes with other items.
- Add salt and adjust as per the required taste.
Have served this with Pongal as a accompaniment/chutney.
Note: One can use kokum instead of tamarind if required. In this case put kokum at the stage when you are putting the tamarind juice and put some water and simmer it for some time.