Tomato Dal/Pappu | Andhra Style Recipe
Dal is a staple food in every Indian home whether it’s north Indian or south Indian or any other place. There are many variation of making dal so we never get bored of having dal everyday.
Tomato Pappu / Dal is one of the most cooked dal varieties in Andhra cuisine. It is usually cooked with tuvar / toor dal / moong dal, though it varies on individual’s choice. I have used a mix of tuvar and moong dal, this gives dal thicker consistency and nice flavor.
Prep Time: 15 Mins I Cook Time: 25 Mins I Serves: 4
- 1/4 Cup Tuvar Dal
- 1/4 Cup Moong Dal
- 1 no Med sized Onion
- 1 no Med sized Tomato
- 2 Small Green chilies
- 2 to 3 Red Chillies
- Curry leaves – 5-6
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Jeera
- Tomatoes – 2 small
- Salt – to taste
- 1 tsp Turmeric pwdr
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 cup Water
- A Pinch of Hing
- 4 to 5 sprigs of Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- Wash toor dal under running cold water till water runs clear.
- Take washed dal in pressure cooker, add 1 ½ cups of water, add the chopped tomatoes, onion, slit chillies and the turmeric powder and two drops of oil, let it cook for 5-6 whistles. Let the pressure go down by itself, then open the lid. Dal and the vegetables will be cooked, soft and almost mushy.
- Heat Oil in pan then add the jeera, mustard, curry leaves, hing, red chillies and later follow with the cooked dal.
- Add little water to get the consistency one would required, adjust the salt and let it simmer for of minutes.
Yummy Tomato Dal is ready to be served with hot steamed white rice…….!!
My daughter doesn’t like tomatoes, eats this dal without any complaints….:-)….Very basic but very delicious and packed with proteins.