Tomato is also known as Thakkali in Tamil a very nutritious vegetable. This vegetable is used in various dishes in India and more so in lentil based dishes. This is used as an souring agent.
Thakkali (tomato) sambhar is an unique variation to the lentil based traditional sambhar recipe. This thakkali or tomato sambhar has the tomato puree seasoned or one can also make it diced tomato, with mustard seeds, chillies and curry leaves and best served with rice.
Preparation time: 15 Mins | Cooking Time: 30 Mins
- 4 to 6 big sized tomatoes
- 2 to 3 Onions
- 1 cup toovar (arhar) dal
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tbsp sambaar powder
- 1 Lemon Sized Tamarind
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- few curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 whole dry kashmiri red chillies deseeded and broken up
- 4 to 6 tbsp oil
- Pressure cook the thuvar dal with 3 cups of water, turmeric powder & Asafoetida powder till soft (For about 15 mins – on low flame after the first whistle).
- Dice the tomatoes and onions & keep.
- Mix tamarind in hot water and keep it aside and then separate the pulp and keep.
- Once the Dal is cooked remove from heat & leave to depressurize – mash well –keep it aside
- Take a vessel heat the oil kept for seasoning – when hot add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry chillies,curry leaves, when mustard seeds crackle add the diced Onions when the onions are transparent add the diced tomatoes cook till its well cooked and starts leaving oil from sides.
- Add the mashed dal, Tamarind Pulp, Jaggery, sambhar powder & 2-3 cups of water mix well.
- Let it bubble nicely till sambar thickness is achieved and the tamarind losses its sourness.
- Remove and garnish with chopped coriander.
A Nice Accompaniment with rice.