AKKI ROTI / Chawal ki roti
Akki Roti Recipe is a delicious spicy flat bread from my mom’s breakfast recipes. I have been having this for breakfast right from my childhood and have had in many places but somehow till date no one has matched my mother’s recipe.
Akki roti makes a great vegan and gluten free breakfast option. Made from rice flour, shredded vegetables of your choice and spices (here we are using carrot), Akki Roti makes an excellent choice for breakfast or tea time snack, but somehow, I would prefer it for breakfast. Its right way to start your day with delicious breakfast….yummy.
So, let’s get down to business of making this wonderful and delicious roti…! first let’s get all the ingredients on table:
- 2 cups Rice flour
- 1/4 cup Fresh coconut, grated
- 1 Carrot, grated
- 4 sprig Dill leaves, chopped
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs Curry Leaves (Finely Chopped)
- 2 to 3 tbsp. of wheat flour
- 1-inch Ginger, grated
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ cup of Groundnuts
- 2 Green Chillies
- Handful of coriander leaves
· Oil, to cook
· Salt to taste
· Banana leaf for making
- Take a large bowl and put all the items/ingredients mentioned in the list expect for the list for paste.
- Mix it thoroughly and keep it aside.
- Now take all the items//ingredients mentioned for paste in small grinder and make coarse paste of the same. Be careful not make it smooth paste then the taste factor/meter takes hit…. 😊 ….as I prefer crunch in the roti.
- Now mix the coarse paste form the grinder to the ingredient’s in the bowl and mix it thoroughly.
- Now add salt and water and mix it. Start with half cup of water and then slowly and gradually so that it does not get out of hand.
- The idea of this is to make dough consistent enough to be patted down on a banana leaf.
- Leave this for some time to rest, the idea is if there’s water being left by the vegetables or any other ingredient we can adjust the same.
- After a while take a ball size dough and put on the banana leaf, which has been oiled prior
- Pat the dough with your fingers from the middle to the outside so the dough should spread and be intact in shape of a roti.
- Meanwhile bring a skillet/tawa to heat, then overturn the patted down dough on the tawa, wait for second and gently remove the leaf from the top.
- Make small holes in the roti and pour oil, which will help in proper roasting/frying of the roti from all sides.
Now the delicious roti is ready to be savoured with the ever-delicious coconut chutney or onion chutney – another mom recipe 😊 we used to have it with chilli pickle. Enjoy….!