Rasam (Accompaniment)- South Indian
A delicious preparation i.e. Rasam is a south Indian curry / soup made with tamarind/kokum, tomatoes, pepper, cumin, lentils etc. Rasam can be served as a gravy for rice soup along with papad.
Rasam can be made in different ways, one of them is made with tomatoes and dal. Rasam is main item in South Indian thali/meal, either might be Tamil, Andhra, Kerala or Karnataka.
Let’s start making the delicious dish.
- Tomatoes: 1 nos (washed and Diced)
- Rasam Powder: 2 tbsp
- Dal: 2 tbsp (Cooked)
- Water: 3 cups
- Tamarind: 1 lemon sized ball (Soaked in water and juice squeezed)
- Turmeric: 1 tsp
- Salt as required
Coriander: handful chopped
- Dry Chilies: 2 no’s (torn)
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Jeera: 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves: 1 sprig
- Hing/Asafoetida: 1 pinch
- Oil for frying
- Take a hard bottom kadai, put oil and bring it to heat. Put the items “for tempering” and fry for a second or two.
- Now add the tomatoes and cook till tender and then add water, tamarind juice, salt and cook till the raw smell of tamarind goes away.
- Then add rasam powder and turmeric and bring it boil and switch off and add chopped coriander for garnish.
Rasam can be served with rice. We have given rasam and part of meal plan.