Tomato rice recipe | South Indian style spicy rice
Tomato rice is a traditional south Indian rice recipe made using tomato flavours mixed up with cooked rice … Plain Steamed Rice Cooked with Tangy-Spicy Mixture of Sautéed Tomato puree, Onion, Coriander leaves and Indian spices.
This dish you will find mostly in Karnataka, Andhra households, it’s easy and quick way of fixing a meal. One can have this rice with raita, papad, potato chips or plain curd. It can be made in couple of methods one is preparing the sauce and then mix with the cooked rice, second one is a biryani style.
- Basmati Rice -1 cup
- Ripe juicy big tomatoes -2 (Pureed)
- Onion -2 medium size chopped
- Green chillies -2 slit
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder -1/4 tsp
- Salt as required
- Groundnuts – ½ cup (fried and kept aside to mixed at the end)
- Oil -2 tbsp
- Mustard – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – little
Soak Basmati rice for 20 minutes. Drain water, add 2 cups of hot water and cook rice until soft. Take juice of 4 tomatoes using a blender and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a kadai
- Add the ingredients mentioned in ‘the seasoning’.
- Add onions and sauté till it turns translucent.
- Add green chillies and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Then add tomato puree, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt needed.
- Cook until oil separates.
- Add needed cooked rice to the tomato gravy and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Groundnuts fried separately and mixed at the last will give you the extra crunch and taste for the dish.
Serve hot with papads, potato chips or raita.