Pineapple Upside Down Cake
The name ‘ Pineapple Upside Down Cake ‘ makes it obvious that the cake toppings are at the bottom of the pan and the cake is baked in a single pan, when the cake is fully baked it is removed into a different pan upside down, the name is derived from the above process as it is baked “upside down”.
But out many preparations in this way the cake made out of pineapple i.e. “Pineapple Upside Down Cake” has gained popularity. Initially as a topping only pineapple used to be added eventually maraschino cherries were also added to add flavour and colour to the cake. In this recipe we have added caramel, pineapple and cherries as topping to the cake.
It’s made for various occasions, have made this for Christmas for daughter as she cannot eat the cake with alcohol in it and the fact that it is a fruit cake makes it more interesting and its not overly sugary, which is added advantage for anyone having this cake.
Its as much classic and very easy to bake cake. There are some keys steps in making this cake:
- Cook and pour the caramel topping to cool before making the batter.
- The cake batter has to dolloped not pour, as the batter of the cake is quite airy and thick.
- As usual cool the cake before removing it from the mould, which is hardest part of making the Pineapple Upside Down Cake, cooling helps the caramel topping to cool and stick to the cake and not the pan.
In this recipe we have used the canned pineapple variety one can use fresh pineapple too for this cake. Fresh pineapple gives out more pineapple juice.
You might like similar cake recipes
- Vegan Sweet Potato Chocolate Cupcakes
- Vegan Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes
- Eggless Carrot Cake with Honey Caramel (Vegan)
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
The name “Pineapple Upside Down Cake” makes it obvious that the cake toppings are
at the bottom of the pan and the cake is baked in a single pan.
- 1 Can Canned Pineapple in Juice
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 12 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup White Sugar
- 2 no's Eggs
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Pineapple Juice From the can
- 6 no's Cherries
Preheat the oven to …..C degrees.
Butter and flour a Bundt cake pan and set aside.
In a pan melt together 2 tbsp of butter and the brown sugar, as the sugar melts add in 2 Tbsps. of pineapple juice from the can and whisk vigorously till it starts to thicken.
Pour the prepared caramel into prepared bundt cake pan, and top with slices of pineapple, depending upon ones pan size the no. of pineapple will vary. (have cut the pineapple slices into the halves and placed them in the caramel). Place the cherry in the centre if one has used the pineapple slices as a whole, if the slices are cut into halves then one places the cherry where ever one feels comfortable and finds it suitable.
Drain the remaining pineapple slices and chop them into small pieces. In a bowl cream
both sugar and butter until its light and fluffy (forming peaks). At this stage add the eggs and vanilla, beat until both of them get incorporated together.
In a separate bowl sift the dry ingredients together i.e. flour, baking powder and salt. Now add little by little into the wet ingredients and mix it well until combined. At this stage pour in milk and the pineapple juice and mix it and now add the rest of the dry ingredients.
Now add the finely chopped pineapple chunks, dollop the batter onto the caramel and pineapple pieces. In a preheated oven bake the cake for 50 to 60 minutes. (keep checking the timing may vary for different ovens with a toothpick, the toothpick should come clean
when inserted in centre of the cake).
Let the cake cool slightly for about 10 TO 15 minutes, then invert it onto a plate. Serve warm.
- If any pineapple is left sticking to the pan, you can remove and place it on the cake.
- The baking time may vary oven to oven please check the cake after 30 to 40 minutes, if the toothpick comes out dry the cake is done in the centre of the cake, remove it and keep it to rest on the rack.
- Remember not to pour the dough, please dollop the dough and just pat the pan to level it.